My journey out of legalism & Paul  

Posted by Bethany

I've been thinking about writing a blog post about my journey out of legalism eventually. Today I realized I can't put it off!

I used to live by so many rules. I noticed the bad effect of a movie I watched, so I decided - no more movies. Full stop. Secular music seemed like dangerous ground, so I refused to listen to anything secular. My health was religious, too. I wouldn't eat anything that could possibly be unhealthy in any way. I ended up going 85% raw and making everything from scratch for a while. But I wasn't happy or enjoying a fulfilling intimate relationship with God. I struggled to find meaning in my devotional life and I felt guilty for some broken rule 99% of the time. I was often "disappointed" by the Christians around me who I saw breaking rules (read: judgmental - yes, I was!). I felt like I was better than them, and yet... I knew I wasn't making it.

Then, I found freedom! I discovered that most of my rules weren't divinely binding and I ditched many of them. I stopped worrying about trying to be good enough for God, and decided to just get to know Him. (That is when I started journalling.) I read the Bible with new questions, "Who is God? What is he actually like? what is his personality?" I decided I would get to know him the way I try to get to know any new friend. That's when I really started to fall in love with Him. I started to enjoy my daily devotions. I lived free from guilt, so I was finally light-hearted and truly happy. I learned to accept everyone and love them as they were. I also discovered that I could know I was saved just because I had accepted Jesus sacrifice for my sins (1 John 5:13, John 3:16).  I finally found huge, unending joy in being a Christian. As for my life, I still tried to be healthy, but I didn't stress about it too much. I even decided that I could eat chocolate  (I grew up not eating chocolate and believing it to be a sin to eat it.) I watched movies, sometimes even to an excess. I enjoyed dancing around the house to secular favourites like "Pretty Woman".

Some of these things have changed as I have noticed them hurting my closeness with my Father, who I love desperately.  But today's passage spoke to my journey powerfully and gave me new understanding: "Everything is permissible - but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible - but I will not be mastered by anything." (1 Cor 6:12)

"Everything is permissible to me" - yes, I can eat chocolate, I can listen to secular music, I can watch movies. All true. As long as I am pursuing and loving God, I am still his child.

"but not everything is beneficial" - it's not a sin for me to eat chocolate, but is it good for me? (I'm fascinated that the Corinthian Christians hugely abused their freedom in Christ, but Paul didn't react by writing a list of rules).

Everything is permitted, "but I will not be mastered by anything" - this line made me think about movies, novels and music, in particular. I can watch a movie, listen to music and still be God's child. But that doesn't change the fact that when I do so, I am giving over some control of me to these mediums. After I watch a movie, I find myself thinking about it over and over for at least the next few days. Just yesterday, I noticed a cute country song I heard weeks ago playing in my head. I didn't decide to play it in my head - it chose to make me listen to it that time! In what I watch and what I listen to, I am giving some control away. This doesn't suggest to me that I should never watch another movie or listen to another song, but when I choose what I watch or what I listen to, I'll ask myself, "Am I happy to give this a place in my mind? Am I willing for it play over and over and feed my soul?" I don't feel that cuts out all movies or all secular music, but it gives me the right questions to ask when I choose them - questions about which path I want to be on, about how serious I am about making God my number one today and tomorrow.


Yes, some of my new convictions might sound like reminders of the rules I used to live by. But now I know they don't affect how God feels about me. As long as I want him and love him, I am his girl. But I love him so much now that its easy to ditch anything that takes me away from him. I have found such joy, such satisfaction and real LIFE in him, all I want is to be closer to him - to live always in the peace and joy I find in his arms.

It is because of these pages in my experience, that I strongly resonate with David's words, "Your love is better than life!" 

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 3, 2011 at Sunday, April 03, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 thoughts

Anonymous  

Thank you for this post. It's great to know that God loves me so much that I will go to heaven even just the way I am and I do not need to strive to be perfect. It's good to know that keeping the Seventh Day Sabbath is not an issue I need to worry about and feel guilty if I break it, or keep Sunday if the Sunday law does come, because God loves me so much! Isn't it amazing? We don't have to feel guilty about doing anything "wrong" because "Everything is permissible to me" and God loves us so much that He accepts us just the way we are!

April 5, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Thank you for your thoughts. I can relate to your concerns about my story and I admit that maybe I wasn't clear enough, but this is just my story. I have discovered that God loves me no matter what I do - there is nothing I can do to lessen His love for me. I can know that I am saved because I have accepted Jesus sacrifice for me - my life and life choices will be examined by God to determine whether I REALLY have accepted Jesus into my life and if I am safe to save. The fact is, it is not POSSIBLE to accept Jesus' sacrifice into your life and not have your whole life transformed by it. Since I have fallen in love with God I have seen him make changes within me that can't be compared with the pathetic attempts I made with all of the striving I did to make myself perfect all those years ago... Peace to you! :-)

April 5, 2011 at 5:43 PM
Anonymous  

I want to apologizes for the post I made earlier. I was hoping to sound very far fetched, but I realize that what I stated was deceitful because it was really not how I felt. So please forgive me for the manner in which I made that post.

I really feel that you are standing on dangerous ground in the position you hold. Extremely dangerous, and I beg you to re-consider! Your position is wholly contrary by the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy.

It is true, we can not do anything of ourselves, it is only in the strength of Christ that we can be overcomer's. However, everything and anything is not permissible! God gave us a law to abide by - the Ten Commandments. God gave us a standard to which to attain - Perfection, even as He is perfect. God gave us an example to follow - Jesus Christ. God gave us instruction on many things in the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy.

April 19, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Post a Comment