Important - or merely urgent?  

Posted by Bethany

I can’t put into words the miracle of this morning.  I woke up at 1:30. You might think I just do that sort of thing, but I don’t and I generally find I can’t!  The last time I got up near 1 to study was about 10 years ago.  These days I often struggle to get up at 7!  Anyway, I had a late assignment that I needed to get done and God knew I had less time and more study ahead of me than I realized, so he woke up at 1:30.  Just like that, I was awake and alert.  Such a gift!

I enjoyed such a rich prayer and study time with Him…  I almost forgot I needed to study! Haha!  Fact is, my expectations were a bit on the ho-hum side this morning.  I was due to study 1 Cor 7 and I already knew what it was about – from memory, mostly sex – and I felt like I’d already read through it plenty of times.  But as it turned out, I learned - so much!  In fact, it’s hard to choose what to share because every part is so special to me.

Here’s my big thought passage:  1 Cor 7:29-31 "What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away."

At first, I thought something like, “What in the world?” but then, as I prayed, it made sense.  This passage suggests to that whatever this life involves us in shouldn’t completely absorb us. We don't need to get stuck in the rut of life or sucked into its rate race. The here and now is only temporary, only God is worth the top spot on my priorities list.  This is the truly important in a life that crowds me with multiple urgencies.  In the midst of it all, God calls to me not to allow them to tyrannize my life and steal my peace.  May I never let the urgent crowd out the truly important! 

This entry was posted on Monday, April 4, 2011 at Monday, April 04, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 thoughts

Post a Comment