My God, a servant  

Posted by Bethany

I was reminded of what I’m really like today... and how different God is from me.


I journeyed through 1 Corinthians 11 and found myself asking the question, “Hierarchy?”  when Paul spoke about headship. I felt protective and uncomfortable when Paul said, “the woman is the glory of the man” and vindicated when I read “In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman...”  

As I strolled by the chaotic Corinthian church lunches, I had to cringe. I could see myself too clearly in the impatient-to-eat believers who grabbed their food “without waiting for anybody else”. I am impatient.

Then, there was Jesus.  Paul takes me back to "the night he was betrayed…" and I see my God taking the role of a slave and washing dirty feet, passing around the bread that symbolizes his own body broken for me.

While I’m shuffling along, puzzling, “Who is most important?” (the unspoken question hanging heavy: “What about me?”) it is then that I see God, the greatest of all, taking a bowl to wash my feet. It seems that I can read his eyes today. They whisper gently, “Status means nothing to me.  I am a servant. Will you follow me?”

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at Tuesday, April 12, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 thoughts

Post a Comment