Growing in and with Jesus...  

Posted by Bethany

Good morning!!! This morning I planned an early start (4AM) because I NEED to get some serious research done, but I woke up instead at 3:30 from a nightmare.  It was one of those supernatural ones where something that seems demonic is attacking you and when you try to call the name of Jesus your voice doesn’t make a sound.  Has anyone else experienced that?  I’m  wondering this morning if such dreams really are demonic or imaginary?  Before last night, I haven’t had one for as long as I can remember… 

Anyway, I studied 1 Corinthians 8 today. The verse I’d like to share is the last part of verse 1: “Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up.”

The way I used to think of these terms was:  “puffs up”  = makes one proud & “builds up” = encourages and nourishes the church community.

Bubbles are like truth without relationship:
beauty, but no substance.
 
I still think those concepts are there. But today, as I reflected on them, I saw something more.  I saw the two phrases as both referring to spiritual growth.  As I thought of “puffs up” versus “builds up”, I found myself picturing on the one hand a building erected brick by brick and an inflatable castle.  The castle “grows” a lot faster, but a little bit of pressure (a tiny puncture) and there is nothing to it. The house grows slowly, brick by brick, but it is strong, safe and dependable.  It won’t fall with slight pricks and annoyances – or heavy pressure.  It is solid.

It made me reflect that knowledge alone isn't a good Christian foundation and it won't lead to spiritual growth.  It is only in a relationship with Jesus that growth happens.  “We are His workmanship.” (Eph. 2:10)

Very practically, this reminds me of the emphasis that I used to put on knowing the truth (signs of the end, details of secret masonic orders and conspiracies, the right theory of righteousness by faith…) and feeling somehow that there was power in this knowledge and that “getting it right” would hugely impact my salvation.  But now I realize that apart from a real daily walk with God – where I meet with Him in the secret place of prayer and Bible study and then walk with him through the day, letting him lead and resting in Him – apart from that, all the truth in the world is worse than useless.  It will make me a proud, empty Christian who has no substance and no real heart change.

Oh Father, please always keep my eyes on You and my hand in Yours! 

This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at Wednesday, April 06, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 thoughts

Post a Comment