Just what I needed...  

Posted by Bethany

I slept in today, and then I found myself getting caught up in the day instead of stopping to find myself in God first.  I ate breakfast, checked facebook, cuddled with Ben and edited my sister’s engagement pics.  Before too long, I noticed that I was feeling out of sorts and getting grouchy with my husband.  Then when I saw the time and remembered everything that is facing me today, I started getting stressed and panicky.  Plus I felt guilty and foolish for putting off my time with God.

I knew I didn’t have time for my study in Corinthians, so I kind of whispered a quick prayer, asking God where I should meditate.  The thought came just as quickly: Psalm 46.  I love Psalm 46, so I wasted no time in getting there and started reading it aloud.  For a second, it almost seemed too familiar and I thought, “I’ve already meditated on this Psalm really recently. Maybe I should pick another one…”  when I came to verse five and I remembered why it was so familiar.

Just a few days ago I wandered off and felt really disconnected from God after a time-wasting spree (mentioned in my “Understanding surrender” post).  After it, I prayed and cried and begged God for forgiveness and for a sense of closeness with Him again.  Then I read through Psalm 46.

I know this verse is speaking about Zion in its original context, but God spoke the words into my heart:

“God is within her, she will not fall:
God will help her at the break of day” 


When I got to that passage today I got goosebumps.  In today’s situation, so much like the last one, where I felt empty and alone, God reminded me that He is with me and that His Spirit is within me. I won’t fall.
The stress and fears of the day just rolled away.  God is with me, He is my strength and my safe place. I am at peace and confident now – IN HIM!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at Tuesday, April 05, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 thoughts

Thanks for that post Bethany, I can relate to it. I find that I can slip away from God even when I am going my morning devotions, if I rush through without putting forward effort to really apply what I am reading.

April 5, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I so know what you mean, hey Joel! I have at times gone for an entire week spending even 40 minutes in the word each day, but afterward realizing that I was pushing through the time with God, not actually stopping and resting in Him...

April 5, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Post a Comment