Between God and Family...  

Posted by Bethany

What a day! I managed to drag myself out of bed at 5am in hopes of having a perfect morning - shower, enjoy Bible reading, study, go to work etc. etc. Not so! Once I had my shower and grabbed my laptop to enjoy devotions, I decided to quickly check my facebook, blog and email first - just quickly, you know! Over an hour later, I realised I was still browsing... I felt so foolish. Why get up early just to browse the net?

After I got over my embarrassment, though, I had a blast in Psalms 6. Before I tell you about it, though, let me tell you about a few other highlights of today.  My darling little sister posted a blog on the blessings of having sisters, who are always there for you and who share everything with you... so now I'm feeling all warm and sentimental and she goes and credits me with sharing my cold with her!!

Tonight, I planned a perfect Friday evening dinner - I cooked an elaborate meal and I lit candles. Well, I call the boys to the table and my brother starts talking about today's footy game! haha Gotta love family. :-)


Now check out what an incredible Psalm I was in today!

Psalm 6

1 O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger,
or discipline me in your wrath.
2 Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
O Lord, heal me, for my bones are shaking with terror.
3 My soul also is struck with terror,
while you, O Lord—how long?
4 Turn, O Lord, save my life;
deliver me for the sake of your steadfast love.
5 For in death there is no remembrance of you;
in Sheol who can give you praise?
6 I am weary with my moaning;
every night I flood my bed with tears;
I drench my couch with my weeping.
7 My eyes waste away because of grief;
they grow weak because of all my foes.
8 Depart from me, all you workers of evil,
for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
9 The Lord has heard my supplication;
the Lord accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies shall be ashamed and struck with terror;
they shall turn back, and in a moment be put to shame.
  
Just briefly, I noticed that:
  • David comes to God, not as a perfect saint, but as deserving of rebuke and discipline (v 1)
  • He is experiencing a really rough spot, where he, a grown man, describes himself as soaking the sheets with his sobbing (v 6) 
  • And, where it feels like God isn't even paying attention. Notice he begs God to turn (as if he is facing away) and save him (v 4)
  • But in spite of all this, David comes to God for help and he appeals to God's unfailing love as his argument - he knows the heart of his God! 
  • David finds courage just from bringing his troubles to God - he immediately turns to his enemies and tells them to watch out because God has heard him! 
  • Finally, he tells the world what God is going to do about his situation - so strong is his faith!! 
Notice the huge contrast between the tone of his song at the beginning and the end!!! 

I can relate to this Psalm, because no matter how messed up I feel, talking to God about it always makes me feel a ton better.  Between God and family, how can I go wrong? :-)  

Love you both!! 


Happy days...!

This entry was posted on Friday, August 6, 2010 at Friday, August 06, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 thoughts

lol love this post. Especially the comment about Jana and you sharing your cold. :D I'd like to know who shared theirs with me!
love you Sis!

August 6, 2010 at 9:46 PM
Anonymous  

LOL, I couldn't help it with this one! "I credited you with giving me your cold"... :D Family is the best aye Beth! Love that photo of us kids you put up. :D *all grins* oh and the psalm. ;)

August 6, 2010 at 10:49 PM

I didn't tell you... yet. But I loved this post so much. (not quite the picture though!) It might my heart feel warm. :) I so loved it!

August 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Post a Comment