A gentle "tongue"  

Posted by Bethany

I read 1 Corinthians 14 today. I had spent several days in chapter 13, so I was just a bit afraid of the transition from the love chapter to the "tongues" chapter!

But God always surprises me.

I was fascinated by the way Paul handles the issue of tongues here. It is obvious that he has some serious concerns and as the image of the garbled worship services at Corinth appears,  you can't blame him! Yet Paul carefully and painstakingly takes his hearers through a journey of thought. He explains why their use of this spiritual gift is a problem and how. He doesn't lay down the law, or criticize them harshly. He even finds ways to praise them!

Paul certainly doesn't ignore the issues or sweep them under the rug. But he writes respectfully with words calculated to win hearts and confidence, not just to "make his point."

I was reminded of the gentleness of my Father, who says, "Come now and let us reason together..." (Is 1:16). As I read this chapter, I could sense his voice calling me to encourage and to 'rebuke' gently.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at Tuesday, April 19, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 thoughts

Post a Comment